Sunday, March 27, 2011

Vomit Enducing Literature


Okay, so a friend told me that the book 120 Days of Sodom would be a great book to read if I was looking for a horror novel that focuses on torture. "OH!" I thought, "What a grand idea!! Just what I need for my project!! I shall give it a look!!"

........big mistake.

What I got from reading this book was a prime example of literature that can literally make me sick to my stomach.

Now let me reiterate: I LOVE BEING SCARED. I love suspense and terror and zombies and ghosts and all the gore that comes along with it. I have watched gruesome horror movies—filled with everything from fingernail ripping to skinning alive. I have sat through all the Saw films and countless zombie movies with scarcely a bit of damage to my psyche. I have read a ton of Stephen King books and have watched all the films based on those books without feeling the least bit queasy.

I could not get past the first three chapters of this book without quite literally wanting to vomit. 

120 Days of Sodom was the most disgusting, horrible thing I have ever experienced. After reading a mere few chapters of this monstrosity, I needed a few cups of tea, a warm shower, and a long walk just to wash away my disgust. And when I tried to pick the book up again, I found that I couldn’t.
120 Days of Sodom is a novel by the French writer and nobleman Donatien Alphonse François, Marquis de Sade (The man who literally put the "Sade" in "sadism". No kidding. The word was created to describe the acts committed in this book), written in 1785. It tells the story of four wealthy male libertines who resolve to experience the ultimate sexual gratification in orgies. To do this, they seal themselves away for four months in an inaccessible castle with a harem of 46 victims, mostly young male and female teenagers, and engage four women brothel keepers to tell the stories of their lives and adventures. The women's narratives form an inspiration for the sexual abuse and torture of the victims, which gradually mounts in intensity and ends in their slaughter.

What I have learned from this book are the most disgustingly gruesome acts one could ever commit on another human being, written in a simple, matter of fact format that scares me even more than the acts committed. The fact that someone could write these kinds of things and present them in the same way they would recite the recipe for his mother’s bests crème brulee is truly disturbing and a glance into the minds of the clinically insane.

I will probably be taking that matter of fact approach when it comes to the main villainess describing her tortures, but that’s about it. I do not plan on using sexual torture at all in my story (for I find it ultimately grotesque) and my descriptions will not be as brutal.

So if you want to read the most disgusting book in known history, read 120 Days of Sodom. If  have less than an iron stomach, I’d stick to King and Koontz for your horror fix.

 READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!!  ---> Click to read 120 Days of Sodom

No comments:

Post a Comment