Sunday, February 6, 2011

Inspiration

For the horror aspect of my story I have been greatly inspired by the PC game Amnesia the Dark Descent. It is a physiological horror game revolving around the supernatural, torture, and a horrifying, Gothic atmosphere. The story of this game is what horrified me the most when I played it, so much so that I had to watch people playing it online just so I could enjoy the wonderfully gory story to the end. It's truly a masterpiece in horror, and has taught me the high value of atmosphere and how the mere prospect of something horrifying can scare a person much more than a monster jumping out at you. It's all about getting into your audiences mind and messing with them, if you can do that even just a little bit, you have successfully frightened them.

The torture devices used in this game are common torture devices used in medieval times. I find just the mention of their names to trigger a level of fear in me. Unfortunately the video below, only contains a few scenes including the numerous amount of torture devices in this game, but I am planning to do more research on all the torture devices for my own story.

This video highlights some of the scarier parts of the game. Some scenes are a little fuzzy, but they are short. Most of the horror is implied through atmosphere, sound, pictures, and text descriptions, meaning there is only one scene of actual torture and it's not that graphic. Still if you are easily frightened I suggest not watching this video.

Some scary scenes from Amnesia the Dark Descent

This video actually shows the monsters and exemplifies the tension that I am going to try to capture.
Searching around and scary monsters

No comments:

Post a Comment